Thursday, May 15, 2008

T-Camp #2 Day 2: Ventoux

Man that hill is tough! We never even went all the way to the top (although we did the lower 10km twice) and I feel like I've been run over by a truck! Today was not what I had expected. I've seen the Ventoux on the TV a number of times from it's various appearances in the Tour de France and every time I've seen it, it looked like the sunny side of the moon, i.e. hotter than hell and completely barren. However, today since we only road the lower 2/3 of the climb we never left the forest and (big surprise here....) it was cold and rainy. It really is a testing climb; long, steep, plenty of extended straight sections where you can catch a glimpse of all the fast guys up the road and all the guys nipping at your heals. I guess what I'm trying to say is, if I ever race the Tour I'll be crossing my fingers that Ventoux isn't part of the course!

On a completely unrelated note. I road up on two guys conversing w/ one another using sign language as they road through city traffic today and concluded that it was unsafe to use sign language in traffic and be unable the hear what's going on around you. Then I realized that flipping someone the bird while listening to an ipod fits that criteria. I guess I'm not a very safe person...

alex

No comments: