Saturday, May 10, 2008

Bad Timing

Well today sucked. Not really any other way to put it. It started off ok; cold, rainy, and aggressive. I managed to get away with a ridiculously strong Spaniard for a total of 12km early on and was rewarded w/ a few more King of the Mountains points. But the peleton was having none of it and our advantage never made it past 32 seconds. After getting caught I had just enough time to catch my breath and slam some sugar before a tough category 2 climb. I was feeling surprisingly good for about 2km at which point I rocketed into the red. Wondering what was up, I kept looking back to see if some on was hanging on to my saddle. My assumption was close, I had a flat. 3/4 of the way up the hill w/ my team car a full km behind I was granted the opportunity to wait for a solid minute for a wheel then wait what felt like an hour as the wheel was changed. My race was pretty much over. I came pretty close to making it back in the caravan but ended up in the grupetto and finishing behind the time cut. Oh well, that's racing I guess. At this point, even if I was offered a pro contract for next year I'm not sure I would sign simply because I intend to come back to this race next year and rip it apart. I've got some unfinished business here in the Basque country.

Training for L'Isard,
alex
Training for L'Isard,
alex

No comments: