Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Built to win

I went to the doc today. It was by far the most thorough examination I have ever received. Checked everything from my toes to the hair on my head. Especially the hair on my head. Did a full on VO2 max test. I'm not going to lie, I felt like crap today so I definitely half assed the majority of the test. Probably not the best thing to do but I think the information I gained is still relevant. Most everything he told me I already knew. High hematocrit and hemoglobin levels, average lung capacity, huge heart for my body, baby fat still present, ect. However, (and this is big for me!) my lactate clearing abilities have improved significantly! Not sure if the results from either this test or the one from 2 years ago are both accurate (or if I even remembered the numbers correctly) but if they are I'm going to be in a good place this year! This will serve me well in hard races with lots of accelerations and inconsistent speed.

After the test I had to sprint home (this is right after a VO2 test mind you!), shower, and pack in the car and race to Marseille for an awards presentation for the Cup du mond. It's a French thing.... apparently it's the big thing to win around here and the team won it last year. Way to go guys! What this meant for me was I got to practice my French in a handful of, "sink or swim" situations. Most of the time I sank.

Oh well. As science shows, I'll recover.




*Small side note- I think by the end of this odyssey I will have lost my ability to speak english. Or at least speak it in my native style. I'm already starting to speak with a french accent.

No comments: