Monday, March 10, 2008

When it Rains it Pours

Today I though I had timed it perfectly and left for my ride at the perfect time. The roads were just drying out and the sun was starting to poke through. For a full hour I enjoyed the sun and then, almost without warning, it rained. It rained hard. REALLY HARD. I don't think there is any other way for me to describe it. I was completely awestricken by the intensity of the rain and spent 2 full hours trying to convince myself that I wasn't hypothermic and wishing that I had gills. I honestly can't remember the last time (if ever) I have encountered rain like that. Oh well, what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger. Right? Lets just hope it dosen't make me sick first.....

As for the race this weekend, the team road really well. We finished up with 5 out of the top ten and Tanner was second. Not bad at all. The race its self was absolutely brutal. The course was a series of farm roads the size of bike paths with numerous steep 1km climbs and 160 degree corners. Oh, and it was windy. I knew I was in for a long day when I looked up and all I could see was a series of 5 man echelons! There had to have been at least 15! Shortly after I made the mistake of looking down at my heart rate monitor. 197 beats per min. OUCH! Given the circumstances I think I road pretty well but it wasn't exactly the ideal first race back after being sick and off the bike for 6 days and I called it quits after 130km.

Hoping for a good week of training,
alex

No comments: